Marley was mainstreamed !!!

At her IEP meeting back in March the child study team let me know that they wanted to mainstream Marley in the fourth grade. At first I wasn't too sure about her being mainstreamed, but after I thought about it I realize that she needed to move on. While the program is phenomenal in our school district, I feel that at times it hinders her maturity. I understand that a child with special needs has to have certain opportunities be made a little more easily available, but at the same time it also makes her think that she's entitled to other things. She thinks everyone is going to cater to her.  
Marley is on the spectrum so while she may have developmental delays she has no cognitive delays. She is, for all intents and purposes, a nine-year-old girl. I think mainstreaming her in a regular classroom, with a lot of support, is a very good idea for her.  
We tried to give her a heads up as much as possible. But how much can you explain to a nine-year-old that things are going to change. Her teacher called me on the first day to let me know that she did well with the transitioning. But she also mentioned that during recess Marley was alone. A little girl came up to ask her if she wanted to play but Marley let her know that she needed some time alone to regroup. I was very glad that she was able to verbalize how she was feeling internally.
I don't want it to be where it's so overwhelming for her that she needs a break and loses out on recess. It's only the third day today so we will have to see how she does during the day today. Next week will be the true determination of how she's doing because that's when they start with homework. And she loves her homework! LOL

Pizza night !!!
First day of school.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of play with your ASD child.

My personal outlet......

Eating and feeding time with children with autism.