Eating and feeding time with children with autism.

5 months old
Can't handle the cuteness !!!



Kids with autism usually are very particular about what they eat. Most of the time I feel it's because of sensory issues in their mouth, and because of this some of them do limit what they eat, sometimes so severely, that it could result in nutritional deficiencies.


When my daughter was born she was never a hungry child. I remember when Marley was few weeks old she fell asleep for five hours and did not wake up to eat. I actually had to wake her up to eat. Being that she is my first child I thought it was normal, but I soon discovered that it was not. At this age children usually wake up every 2 to 3 hours to feed, and they are very hungry.  She never finished the appropriate amount of formula for her particular age. I tried breast-feeding but she would not latch on. I later found out, through Marley's neurodevelopmental pediatrician,  that children with autism have difficulty latching onto breast-feeding. What I was able to do was pump what I had, and supplement with formula.  
When I tried feeding her solid foods she only took to it because I practically shoved it in her mouth. Each mouthful sent shivers up her little spine and she would always wince and shudder.  Usually children by five months are reaching for the spoon with their mouths when they see the food. Marley just sat and looked at it.  As the months went on she started refusing certain foods. I did not know what to think at that point. By the time she was a-year-old she was eating scrambled eggs, mac & cheese and applesauce. Not very balanced!  It got so bad that I had to put her on Pediasure twice a day. I was so afraid of her being malnourished. 
Even though as a baby I introduced all sorts of foods to her, she refuses to eat anything now. I made sure that I gave her plenty of vegetables so that her taste buds can acquire a taste for them. But to no avail. The only vegetable she likes is cauliflower and broccoli with cheese on it. And even with that she gives me a hard time. Of course I received all sorts of advice from the pediatrician.  I've tried the whole 'let her starve and she will eat' but that process does not work with a child with autism. I've been advised to hide the healthy food in what she likes to eat. Sure, I can try to hide some brussel sprouts in her 'spaghetti with butter' dinner!  She'll NEVER realize it...lolol!!!



Faking it for the camera!!! Doesn't even like the smell of apples.


And I can also say that my daughter does not eat any fruit. A person would think at least fruit she would eat because it was sweet.  Each time I approach her with a banana, she gags!!! A true visceral reaction to fruit!

With the foods that she does eat, she is particular. She does like chicken, red meat and pork. But they have to be cooked a certain way, and cannot have any char on them.  She will make her father cut it off.  The rice and the mashed potatoes have to be a particular texture.  

I do get very frustrated with her eating.  My mother always told me that as a young chid I would eat whatever she put in front of me.  I have to stop myself and think 'how would I feel if someone was trying to make me eat something that grossed me out?'  Her sensory issues dominate her every day.  She is still learning coping skills on how to handle being over whelmed.  That's not easy when EVERYTHING overwhelms her.  Something as simple as too much salt on her food would be the sensory equivalent of me drinking straight up sea water !!! 

Unfortunately there isn't too much research on this. A lot of times the families get blamed for the child's behavior. I do know that once I accepted the fact that this could be sensory it has been a little easier on us. I'm not as demanding on her. I do sometimes try and figure out a way to make the food more appealing to her senses. Every time I do bring it up to any professionals, whether it be her pediatrician or our personal therapist that we go to, they all seem to not have any real answers for us. Most of them seem to say "when she's hungry she'll eat". I really can't speak for most other people who have autistic children with eating situations, I can only speak for myself and my daughter. But I wholeheartedly feel that the reason they are so picky is because of 

1). the texture and the feeling of the food in their mouth because of the sensory issues
2). gastrointestinal distress 

Sometime she does complain about her belly hurting after she eats her food.I am gluten-free so it is easy to put her on a gluten-free diet and she doesn't really like milk or milk-based foods so casein free is relatively easy for her.  I am certainly not one to say that a GFCF diet will 'cure' my child.  But I do believe that when I make her as comfortable as possible, her behavior improves.  I feel its because when she isn't as physically uncomfortable she is less frustrated.  It's difficult for her to express what her body feels into words.  Although her communication has improved, she still has a difficult time explaining and describing her internal feelings.  She still has some difficulty with self regulation so at times she knows she is uncomfortable, but doesn't realize where it's coming from. 
I am certainly no expert on this subject matter.  I only have my personal experience with eating 'situations'.  

There are feeding professionals and feeding therapies available, but I don't feel it's necessary for me to bring Marley to one just yet.  I think for her, with a lot of patience, she will be able to let me know what foods are acceptable for her and hopefully help me prepare foods and meals that she can tolerate.  Until then, she will continue with the Pediasure.  She enjoys the flavor and is one of the 'foods' she actually requests. I will probably worry about her nutrition for quite a while, but It will get better.....I hope.  

Now that I am back I plan on posting every other Wednesday.  If you have any suggestions on what you want me to write about, let me know!! I would love to hear from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of play with your ASD child.

My personal outlet......

Marley was hit with Lyme again!