Autism and SPD (Sensory Processing DIsorder)

First let me start by saying that not all kids that have SPD are autistic but most autistic kids have SPD. I want to make that clear because one of the ways parents sometimes determine whether something is not right is because their kids are hyper sensitive to sound, light or clothing. In some cases even hypo sensitive to pain. 
Marley can cut her finger and it seems like it doesn't even phase her. But if you sing 'Happy Birthday' too loudly, she'll cover her ears and scream 'too loud'. 



This is Marley being 'over-processed' by the bright sunlight.
She tried to tolerate it because she wanted to go on her swing.
Swinging is another form of stimming for her.


As in my personal case, I am not Autistic. I was diagnosed with ADHD at 6 years old. At that time it wasn't even called ADHD (I am now 42 years old). It was called short attention span with mild hyperactivity and mild depression. I was reevaluated when I was in my twenties and while the diagnosis stayed the same, the words changed. It was now called ADHD, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I have always had the sensory issues, mostly with sounds. If my mom ever dropped something on the floor when I was an infant, lets say a pot, I would be set off like a siren. She said the screams were unbearable and it took a few minutes to calm me down. I also have some issues with bright lights. I've been wearing sunglasses ever since I could remember. People would tease me saying I wanted to look cool......but it was because the sunlight was giving me piercing headaches!!!

Here is an article written by Laura Geggel that gets straight to the point about kids with Autism and sensory issues.  

When Marley started walking at 22 months I put her in daycare part time. I felt she needed to be with other children since she never showed any interest in playing with others. I figured if she was exposed to other kids she would then want to be with them. Three months into her being in school the teachers would comment on how she was always covering her ears whenever the kids would get loud. Or she wouldn't want to go outside with the other kids. She would only sit around the 'quieter' kids.  

I figured since I was sensitive to sound and light, then she must take after her mother. Marley started saying words at a young age but that doesn't mean she knew how to communicate. I would try and ask my 2 year old what was bothering her, but to no avail.

As she got older the noise was even more overwhelming for her and she would avoid any situation that she felt would be noisy. We have had to leave many birthday parties because of it. Some parties we didn't even get through the door and we had to drop off the gift and leave.  Thats when I knew something wasn't right. While I had my issues with sound and light, it never affected me to the point of taking over my whole life.  Especially at such a young age.  If it was too noisy for me, I would go to the bathroom for a few minutes, regroup, take a few breaths and I would be good to go. But my poor daughter wasn't able to regroup herself.  She would go into full blown meltdown mode.  

As you can see the look on her face, she was overwhelmed here.
We were on the safari ride in Six Flags Great Adventure.
Here is my husband, daughter and nephew.
It may look like she just trying to chase him, but she is actually seeking stimulation from him.
He is spinning them both at the same time. My husband is 6'6" and could handle them both... lol 

Since hubby and I learned what her 'triggers' are, she's been much better.  I now see her using the coping skills she learned at school and through our private therapist that specializes in children and adolescents with Autism.  Intervention at an early age is so important.  I feel it made all the difference in the world for our family.

I also post articles I find interesting and educational about Autism. 
You can follow me on Twitter @VanessaK245. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of play with your ASD child.

My personal outlet......

Marley was hit with Lyme again!